Wednesday, January 07, 2004

POST-CHRISTMAS READING Well, I got a number of books for Christmas, and I haven't started reading any of them. Here are my choices:

Charlie Wilson's War: The Extraordinary Story of the Largest Covert Operation in History by George Crile. It's about a Texas congressman who was on the appropriations committee, found out about the mujahideen resistence, and then went over there and fought with them.

The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory by Brian Greene. I love this stuff. I've actually read A Brief History of Time (I understand that, for most, it's a decoration). But I never understood what the hell superstrings were. And maybe this will help defeat my skepticism about spacial dimensions beyond the third.

Tombstones: A Lawyer's Tales from the Takeover Decades by Lawrence Lederman. I found a reference to this over at Corp Law Blog, and although his discussion of the book seems to imply a more rigorous and time-consuming drafting process than may be reasonably possible for most clients, the focus on the craft of what we do seems very interesting. I'm glad that my family could find a used book store to pick up this out of print book. Lord knows if I were in middle management or sales, I'd have thousands of books to choose from. I wonder what else is out there on this subject.

How I Accidentally Joined the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy (and Found Inner Peace) by Harry Stein. It's good to see what former liberals thought of the right wing when they were on the outside, and what inspired them to join. Maybe the candidates and political consultants should study things like this and then try to persuade rather than simply spin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home